Here are seven quick ways on how to test your soil. This gives you an indication what you are working with before starting a garden.
Other options include soil testing methods which include purchasing soil testing kits or
sending a sample to a professional soil testing lab.
Other DIY tips for gardening that may be of interest include:
Homemade Weed Killer.
1) A quick check on how to test soil is to hold a well crumbled amount of soil to your nose and smell it. If it smells sour or vinegary it's likely soil is acidic.
2) Grab a jar from your kitchen. Put equal amounts of dry soil and white vinegar into the jar. Put the lid on and shake well. After removing the lid, hold the jar to your ear. If you hear a loud, fizzing sound your soil is very alkaline.
3) Get a tablespoon of wet garden soil and sprinkle a pinch of baking soda on it (baking soda is acidic/sour). If there is fizzing, soil is acidic.
4) Get a tablespoon of wet garden soil and sprinkle
vinegar on it. If vinegar fizzes, the soil is alkaline. The louder the fizz you
hear, the higher the pH.
5) To determine the type of soil you have, roll a clump of soil in your hand forming a cylinder.
6) Grab another jar from the kitchen and fill it two-thirds full with water. Add small clumps of soil until the water reaches the top of the jar. After covering jar, shake vigorously then set it down and wait about a day.
What you will see:
7) If you already have a garden and have some Hydrangea plants, look at the color of the blooms. The color may have changed from when you first purchased them.
Butterfly Garden on Facebook
Jan 14, 17 08:14 PM
Annual bluegrass (Poa annua) is considered a weed in the Poa family, which has a few popular turf grasses. If this gets into your butterfly garden listed are a few ways to eradicate it.
Sep 25, 16 10:54 PM
There are the annual, or Iberis, candytuft flowers and also perennials which are called Iberis sempervirens.
Sep 19, 16 01:10 PM
Reviewing the types of products available for keeping deer out of our gardens along with building fences. Many of these products help with other garden pests.
Sep 19, 16 12:52 PM
Compared to other wildlife gardening, butterfly meadows take time and are not for the faint of heart.
Sep 19, 16 12:32 PM
Natural gardening includes different types of gardens. These garden types create a casual, natural envirionment and help sustain native wildlife which includes butterflies.